Letters are written in two different ways: either CAPITAL or small. In this lesson we will cover the rules behind CAPITAL LETTERS or CAPITALIZATION.
- The first singular pronoun “I”.
- I speak English.
You cannot write i speak English
- The first word of every sentence.
- Maybe the train shall be late again.
- The specific name of a person (and his or her title).
- Her name is Barbara Jones
- The specific name of a place or thing.
- Mosque Hassan The Second
- Nationalities, languages and religion.
- Paolo is Mexican, he speaks Spanish and he is Christian
- Titles of books, magazines, films, periodicals, etc.
- Hamlet was written by Shakespeare.
- The Daily Mirror is an English newspaper.
- Titanic (1997) is a film directed by James Cameron.
- Holidays and feasts.
- Aid Al Adha, The Green March, Halloween, The New Year, etc.
- Abbreviations of famous organizations and government agencies.
- The UN, FAO, UNESCO, CIA, etc.
- Days of the week.
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, etc.
- Months of the year.
- January, February, March, April, May, June, etc.
- Planets and stars.
- The Earth, Jupiter, Mars, Pluto, etc.
- Brands or trade names.
- Samsung, Apple, Windows, Nike, Ralph Lauren, etc.