Ticket 2 Unit 5: Women and Power
Vocabulary related to the unit
- stereotype: an exaggerated or wrong image of the characteristics of a particular group.
- violence: actions or words which are intended to hurt people.
- feminism: a movement which claims to advocate the right of women.
- self-confidence: a belief in one’s own abilities and skills.
- international women’s day: an occasion celebrated by women’s groups around the world on March 8th.
- emancipation: freeing someone socially and politically.
- polygamy: having more than one spouse/wife.
- gender: male or female.
Prefixes and suffixes
A prefix is a group of letters at the beginning of a word which changes the word’s meaning.
Example: dis – pre – contr – anti – re – post – out – co – mis
Disappear – prehistoric – antibiotic – re-elect – post-war – outnumbered – co-exist – misunderstand
A suffix is a group of letters at the end of a word which changes the word’s meaning and often its part of speech.
Example: -cy –al -ance -ence –ism -able, -ible
privacy refusal – maintenance – eminence – communism – edible, presentable.
Click here to see a list of Common Prefixes and suffixes
Functions: expressing addition and concession
|Expressions of addition||Examples|
|Expressions of concession||Examples|
|· Although – though· However – yet· Despite – in spite of + verb (ing)||· Although women’s situation have improved , it still needs more· Many girls can attend school , yet their situation is far from perfect· In spite of being blind , Helen Keller wrote famous novels|
Grammar : Passive voice
This lesson is tackled thoroughly here: Passive voice