1- Coronavirus (CoV) is a large family of viruses that causes illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-CoV). A novel coronavirus (nCoV) is a new strain that has not been previously identified in humans. The latest version of the family Covid-19
2- Coronaviruses are zoonotic, meaning they are transmitted between animals and people. Detailed investigations found that SARS-CoV was transmitted from civet cats to humans and MERS-CoV from dromedary camels to humans. Several known coronaviruses are circulating in animals that have not yet infected humans.
3- On 29 December 2019 Chinese authorities identified a cluster of similar cases of pneumonia in the city of Wuhan in China. These cases were soon determined to be caused by a novel coronavirus that was later named SARS-CoV-2.3 or COVID-19. The first cases of COVID-19 outside of China were identified on January 13, 2020, in Thailand and on January 16, 2020, in Japan.
4- The most common symptoms of COVID-19 are fever, tiredness, and dry cough. Some patients may have aches and pains, nasal congestion, runny nose, sore throat or diarrhea. These symptoms are usually mild and begin gradually. Some people become infected but don’t develop any symptoms and don’t feel unwell. Most people (about 80%) recover from the disease without needing special treatment. Around 1 out of every 6 people who gets COVID-19 becomes seriously ill and develop difficulty breathing. Older people, and those with underlying medical problems like high blood pressure, heart problems or diabetes, are more likely to develop serious illness. People with fever, cough and difficulty breathing should seek medical attention
5- Morocco’s Ministry of Health announced on Monday, March 2, 2020, that it has confirmed the country’s first case of coronavirus (COVID-19). The individual is a Moroccan citizen living in Italy. The second confirmed case of COVID-19 was reported in Morocco On Thursday, March 5, 2020. The second person infected with coronavirus is also a Moroccan citizen who returned from Italy late Wednesday. Both cases are receiving medical treatment and currently subject to quarantine at a hospital in Casablanca.
6- Standard recommendations to prevent infection spread include regular hand washing, covering mouth and nose when coughing and sneezing, thoroughly cooking meat and eggs. Avoid close contact with anyone showing symptoms of respiratory illness such as coughing and sneezing.
Adapted from several online resources
I- COMPREHENSION (15 points)
- Answer these questions from the text
- Name some examples of coronavirus from the text?
- How to know if someone is infected with coronavirus?
- Where did the confirmed cases of Corona in Morocco come from?
- What should one do to keep safe from COVID-19?
- Are these sentences true or false? Justify your answer.
- Coronavirus is a unique virus.
- The source of coronavirus is human.
- The cases identified in Wuhan were of a former coronavirus type
- The verified cases of COVID-19 in Morocco are left free to move and travel.
- Find in the text words or phrases meaning the same as.
- Numerous (paragraph 2): ……………………………..
- Sick (paragraph 5): ……………………………..
- What do the underlined words in the text refer to?
- That (paragraph 1): ………………
- It (paragraph 5): ……………………
- Complete the table with information from the text
|29 December 2019|
|January 16, 2020|
|March 5, 2020|