Grammar: Relative Clauses
- Both Restrictive and non-restrictive clauses begin with WH-words (who , which, whose……..)
- Restrictive clauses: are not set off by commas, they are dependent, very important and limit the meaning.
- Non-restrictive clauses: are set off by commas, they are independent, not very important to the meaning.
Who = refers to a subject
whom = refers to the object of a sentence
Which = it refers to an object (preferences)
That = people, animals, and things
when = refers to time.
where = refers to place.
Whose = refers to possession
- A woman teaches us French. The woman has a beautiful car
the woman who/that teaches us french has a beautiful car
- A bird is on the tree. The bird is singing
The bird which/that is on the tree is singing
- I met a boy yesterday. The boy was my cousin
The boy whom I met yesterday was my cousin
- The government helps poor families. Their children go to school.
The government helps poor families whose children go to school
- Summer is a season. Many people love to go to the beach in summer
Summer is a season when people love to go to the beach
- Morocco is a beautiful country. Many tourists love to spend their holidays in Morocco
Morocco is a beautiful country where many tourists love to spend their holidays in
In the exam , you will be asked to fill in the gap in a sentence with the correct relative pronouns or join / link two separate sentences using a given relative pronoun.Below are exercises that give you enough practice for that .
Another matching exercise is here : RELATIVE CLAUSES – MULTIPLE CHOICES.
0 of 2 questions completed
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You have to finish following quiz, to start this quiz:
0 of 2 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 points, (0)
|Table is loading|
|No data available|
1. Question29 points
Fill in the gaps with right relative pronoun
- castle is a place (where)a king or queen lives.
- An actress is a woman (who)plays in films or theatre plays.
- This is the girl (whose)mother is from Spain.
- This is the time of the year (when)many people suffer from fever.
- The flowers (which)grow in the garden are very beautiful.
- I cannot remember the reason (why) he did that.
- Jane, (whose)mother is a physician, is very good at biology.
- She didn’t see the snake (which) was lying on the ground.
- Do you know the shop (where) Andrew picked me up from?
- My brother Jim, (who) lives in London, is a doctor.
- This morning I met Diane, (whom) I hadn't seen for ages.
- Amy, (whose)car had broken down, was in a very bad mood.
- My office, (which) is on the second floor of the building, is very small.
- The sun, (which) is one of millions of stars in the universe, provides us with heat and light.
- A pacifist is a person (who) believes that all wars are wrong.
- The office (where) I'm working at the moment is very small.
- This school is only for children (whose) first language is not English.
- I don't know the name of the woman to (whom) I spoke on the phone.
- Sheila, (whose) job involves a lot of travelling, is away from home a lot.
- My sister Kate, (who) works in Spain, is an engineer.
- The man (whom)I was describing is my newsagent.
- That is the woman (whom) I saw at the Harrods.
- The man (who) is reading the Times is my boyfriend.
- This is the briefcase (which) he bought from Morocco Mall.
- To (whom) did you send that letter?
- Jane, (who)loves tea, never drinks coffee.
- Shakespeare , (whose)books I love reading, is a famous writer.
- People (who)smoke damage their health.
- We may never know (who) was responsible.
2. Question21 points
Link the following sentences using the words given
- We often visit our grandparents. They are only 10 minutes away.(who)
- Ann is one of my closest friends. I have known her for years.(whom)
- They didn't thank us for the help we gave them at work. This was very rude of them.(which)
- Ann's father works for an international company. It does business with African countries.(which)
- Our History teacher was late this morning. He comes always on time.(who)
- Mrs Elliot has gone to see the doctor. Mrs Elliot hasn't been feeling well lately.(who)
- They went to a place .They usually spend their vacation there.(where).
- I know the lady .Her car is parked over there (whose)
- My father bought me my first bicycle one day . I will never forget that day. (when)
- Our Secretary speaks both English and German fluently. Her mother is German(whose)
- The course gave us a lot of information. I think most of it will be useful.(which)
- I met a nice girl. Her father is an English teacher.(whose)
- Where is the cheese? It was in the fridge.(which)
- These are the people. I invited them for my party(whom)
Leaderboard: Relative clauses
|Table is loading|
|No data available|