Responding to good and bad news
Responding to good and bad news can be done in different ways.
1. Responding to good news
- Oh. what a great news!
- Oh my goodness. Great news!
- Wow. What a great news!
- I just can’t believe it. It’s a good news!
- Really! I just can’t believe it!
- Lucky you!
- I’m glad to hear that!
- Sounds great!
- Superb news!
- Oh, How wonderful!
- That’s a wonderful / terrific / fantastic / marvellous / dazzling / breathtaking news!
2. Responding to bad news
- Oh, I feel sorry for that.
- What a bad / terrible /news!
- Oh, dear!
- Poor you!
- Too bad!
- I feel sorry for that!
- I do feel sorry!
- I sympathise with you!
- Please accept my sympathy!
- It’s really sad to hear that!
- I know you must be feeling sorry for that!
3. Examples of responding to good and bad news
- Speaker 1: I got my baccalaureate with 17.86.
- Speaker 2: Oh, good news!
- Speaker 3: Did you hear the news? Tom’s father passed away.
- Speaker 4: Really! It’s sad to hear that!
- Speaker 5: Khalid has got a visa for The States.
- Speaker 6: Really! I just can’t believe it!