Vocabulary related to the unit
NB: these are possible answers, others may fit as well.
- to have a job
- to be respected
- have access to leisure activities
- to have a say in what happens
- to be free to tell your opinion
- to have access to health care
- to be safe
- to have access to education
- to be free to move
- to tell the truth
- do your personal best
- respect others
- to be concerned for the common good
- to respect the flag of your country
- to participate in community activities
- to believe in human dignity and equality
- respect the rules and laws
- to respect the environment
- to pay taxes
Can be both
• earn your livelihood
• to have somewhere to live
• to volunteer in your community service
• to vote
Functions: Asking for and Giving advice
Bear in mind (remember) that the word advice is a noun and advise is a verb.
Asking for advice
- what do you advise me to do?
- What should I do to……?
- what do you think I should do?
- what do you suggest to …
- what would you do in this situation
- If you were me, what would you do?
- What ought I to do?
- What’s your advice concerning this issue/problem/matter?
- maybe/ I think you should ……
- If + subject + (simple past) + subject +would + (infinitive)
- You’d better + verb (infinitive)
- You ought to/should……
- I advise you to…..
- It is better to……………..
- It might be a practical idea if you ………..
- My advice to you is + to + verb (infinitive).
- If I were in your shoes, I would…………………..
- If I were in your position/situation, I would ……….
Student A: I have a serious headache. If you were me, what would you do?
Student B: If I were you I would visit a doctor.
Student A: My English is weak, what should I do to improve it
Student B: You’d better read more
I advise you to read more
It might be a practical idea if you read more
Grammar: Reported Speech
To see this lesson click on : reported speech.Unit-07-Citizenship