Gateway 2 unit 4 : Women and power
Vocabulary related to the unit
- Stereotype: an exaggerated or wrong image of the characteristics of a particular group .
- Violence: actions or words which are intended to hurt people .
- Feminism: a movement which claims to advocate the right of women .
- Self-confidence: a belief in one’s own abilities and skills.
- International women’s day: an occasion celebrated by women’s groups around the world on March 8th.
- Emancipation: freeing someone socially and politically.
- Polygamy: having more than one spouse/wife.
- Gender: male or female.
Prefixes and suffixes
A prefix is a group of letters at the beginning of a word which changes the word’s meaning.
Example: dis – pre – contr – anti – re – post – out – co – mis
Disappear – prehistoric – antibiotic – re-elect – post-war – outnumbered – co-exist – misunderstand
A suffix is a group of letters at the end of a word which changes the word’s meaning and often its part of speech.
Example: -cy –al -ance -ence –ism -able, -ible
privacy- refusal – maintenance – eminence – communism – edible, presentable.
Click here to see a list of Common Prefixes and suffixes
Functions: apology (saying sorry)
|Making apologies||Accepting apologies|
Grammar: Passive voice
To see the lesson of the Passive voice click on Passive voice
Review this unit