Prefixes and suffixes
are a group of letters that come at the beginning of a word and they change its meaning :
example : happy / unhappy war / postwar
are a group of letters that come at the end of a word and they change its category ( verb – noun – adjective – adverb….) :
child / childish
comfort / comfortable
- generally speaking there are three types of suffixes :
- Verb suffixes
are suffixes added to adjectives or nouns to make verbs .
dark (adjective) => darken
centre (noun) => centralize
- Noun suffixes
are suffixes added to verbs, adjectives, or nouns to make nouns.
manage (verb) => management
serious ( adjective) => seriousness
friend (noun) => friendship
- adjectival suffixes
are suffixes added to nouns, adjectives , or verbs to make adjectives .
beauty (noun) => beautiful
economic (adjective) =>economical
excite (verb) => excited
NOTE : a word without any prefix or suffix is called the root
List of Common prefixes
|anti||against, opposed to||antibiotic, antiwar, anti-virus, antifreeze|
|auto||self/by oneself||autobiography – autograph – autodidact – automatic|
|bi||two||bicycle – bilingual – bilateral|
|co||with – together||co-worker , co-producer , co-author|
|counter||against, opposing||counter-clockwise , counteract , counter-attack|
|de||undo / opposite action / remove||depress , demotivate , decode , degenerate|
|dis||not / the opposite of||dislike , distrust , disable , disagree , disorganised, disarm ,disadvantage ,disable , disobey|
|en||cause to be or become||enlarge ,enrich ,endanger ,enable ,enact|
|ex||former / previous||ex-teacher , ex-president , ex-student, ex-wife|
|il||not ( used before a word beginning with the letter “L” like legal)||illegal ,illogical ,illicit ,illegitimate|
|im||not ( used before a word beginning with the letter “m” like mature or “p” like possible)||immature ,impossible ,improbable ,imperfect -impersonal ,immodest ,immobile|
|in||not / opposite to||indistinct , inaccurate , indecent , inhuman ,incorrect , incapable , insufficient , incomprehensible , incomparable|
|in||in , movement to||insert , instil , inbuilt|
|inter||among / between / connected||international , inter-ship , intercontinental , internet|
|ir||not ( used before a word beginning with the letter “r” like rational)||irrational , irregular , irresistible , irresponsible ,irrelevant|
|mis||wrongly / badly||mislead , mistake , misunderstand|
|mono||one / having one||monolingual , monosyllabic|
|multi||many||multicultural , multilingual , multimedia|
|neo||new / based on something old but in a new form||neocolonialism , neoclassic , neonatal ,non-conservative|
|non||not||non-governmental , nonsense , non-essential|
|out||more / to a greater extent||outnumber , outlive , outrage , outlaw|
|over||above / too much||overcook , overheat , overdo , overeat , overpaid|
|poly||many||polyglot , polyclinic , polygamy|
|post||after /come after||postwar , post-conflict , post-communism ,post-colonialism|
|pseudo||false||pseudonym , pseudo-scientist ,|
|pre||before / come before||prehistoric , prefix , pretest , predict , prepare|
|pro||in favour of||pro-American , pro-capitalist , proactive|
|re||back / do again||redo , rewrite , rename , revisit|
|self||by oneself||self-made , self-sufficient , self-service ,self-taught , selfish|
|half||semi||half-baked , halfway , half-time|
|sub||under / beneath||submarine , subject , subordinate , subway|
|super||above / beyond||superpower , superman , superstar|
|tele||far||telephone , telescope , telecommunicate , telescope|
|trans||across||transcontinental , transatlantic , transfer , transform|
|un||not||unknown , unjust , unkind , unsafe , unable|
|under||below / beneath / not enough , insufficient||underline , under-age , underemployed , underpaid|
List of Common suffixes
|-able/-ible||liable / that can be of /capable of||drinkable , washable , disposable , believable ,
|-ai /ial||has the property of||personal , industrial , financial , critical , musical|
|-ance||state /condition or quality||acceptance , inheritance , performance , assistance ,importance ,guidance|
|-ant||quality or state / full of||assistant , distant , important , pleasant , ignorant , relevant , tolerant|
|-ate||to make||cooperate , procrastinate , coordinate , decorate ,collaborate , accelerate , activate , donate , animate|
|-ent||quality or state||fluent , innocent , prudent , silent , different ,confident|
|-ar||one who / thing which / from||liar , regular , muscular , solar , lunar , similar|
|-ary||like / connected with / belonging to||stationary , dictionary , legendary , imaginary ,necessary , secondary , documentary , summary , voluntary|
|-dom||state or condition||freedom , boredom , wisdom|
|-cy||state or quality||literacy , accuracy , frequency , fluency , democracy ,privacy|
|-ed||past from||turned , collected , cooked , killed|
|-en||made of (adjective)||golden , wooden|
|-en||to make (verb)||lengthen , widen , shorten , soften , threaten|
|-ence||quality or state||reference , conference , residence , difference ,violence , existence , competence|
|-ent||one who||resident , president|
|-er||one who||teacher , writer , painter , worker , player|
|-er||comparative||taller , shorter , bigger , smaller , faster|
|-ful||full of / with||hopeful , painful , careful , joyful , skilful ,peaceful , successful , harmful ,wonderful|
|-hood||state / condition / period||fatherhood , girlhood , neighbourhood , adulthood ,womanhood , brotherhood|
|-ic||having the property of / connected with||heroic , economic , automatic , periodic , allergic ,fantastic|
|-ify||make …./cause….||clarify , justify , purify , solidify , classify ,simplify , qualify , verify , identify|
|-ion||act / process||action , prediction , pollution , solution , addition ,occupation , description , explanation , classification|
|-ish||like / similar to / of a nationality||childish , girlish , mannish , Spanish , British ,foolish|
|-ism||act / action / behaviour / doctrine||tourism , cubism , criticism , socialism , journalism ,racism , feminism , heroism|
|-ist||person with specific knowledge , belief or behaviour||optimist , typist , specialist , stylist , socialist ,novelist , dentist|
|-ive||connection / function / disposition / character /quality / tendency / inclination||detective , destructive , impressive , massive ,productive , creative , active , attentive , passive , relative ,addictive|
|-ity||state / quality or condition||sanity , ambiguity ,, ability , purity , fraternity ,dignity|
|-ize / -ise||bring about a state or condition / make||modernize , colonize , advertise , summarise , analyse|
|-less||without||homeless, childless , fearless , toothless ,sleepless ,jobless|
|-ly||every||daily , weekly , monthly|
|-ment||action / process||enjoyment , employment , development , movement ,environment , agreement|
|-ness||quality / state of being||kindness , openness , darkness , awareness , happiness ,greatness|
|-or||the person who||actor , doctor , advisor , counsellor ,governor , sailor|
|-ory||the state of being / relating to||satisfactory , discriminatory , repository ,contradictory , compulsory|
|-ous||full of / having||marvellous , religious , famous|
|-ship||state or experience of having a specific position||leadership , relationship , championship , citizenship,friendship , membership|
|-y||the state of / having||sunny , rainy , happy|
0 of 3 questions completed
Prefixes and suffixes
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You have to finish following quiz, to start this quiz:
0 of 3 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 points, (0)
|Table is loading|
|No data available|
1. Question23 points
Give the correct form of the words ( use prefixes )
- There are over a billion people in China. It‘s an overpopulated (populated) country.
- I find it difficult to read your handwriting; it’s (illegible)(legible)
- It’s (irresponsible) (responsible) of some parents not to send their children to school.
- I had to (rewrite) (write) the essay because it was full of mistakes.
- I like that song, can you (replay)(play)the cassette again.
- The fans of the visitor team (outnumber)(number)the fans of our team.
- Some official (misuse)(use) their power.
- TV has advantages and (disadvantages)(advantages)
- If we want to succeed in human development we have to (cooperate)(operate)our efforts.
- (illegal)(legal) immigration is a serious phenomenon that needs urgent solutions.
- That naughty student always (misbehaves)(behaves) in class and show (disrespect)(respect) for his mates.
- You need to read a lot in order to (enrich)(rich) and (enlarge)(large) your vocabulary.
- To protect your computer, you need to install an (anti-virus)(virus).
- It was (impolite)(polite) of you to speak with her in such a cruel way.
- George Bush was (re-elected)(elected) in two terms.
- Dinosaurs lived millions of year in the (prehistoric) (historic) times.
- Jamal left the job because he was (underpaid)(paid).
- During the rush hours, buses are (overcrowded)(crowded) that doors would not shut.
- Green peace is an (anti-nuclear)(nuclear) organisation.
- I was (unsatisfied)(satisfied) and (uncomfortable)(comfortable) with the way he spoke to us.
- Sorry if I (misunderstand)( understand ) your point.
2. Question28 points
Give the correct form of the words (using suffixes)
- Higher education(educate) is now accepted as an essential step to future achievement(achieve)
- I can’t understand this sentence. It’s completely (meaning) (meaningless)
- you have to find the (suit) (suitable)time to ask him for the (promote) (promotion)
- The computer is a (revolution) (revolutionary)tool in the (education) (educational) field.
- Due to (finance) (financial)difficulties, the factory had to close down.
- Gad el Maleh has a great (art) (artistic) talents. He plays several (music) (musical)instruments.
- (Prepare) (preparation)for the exam has deprived me from (entertain) (entertainment)for many weeks.
- Najat is a (rely) (reliable)person. She can do everything you tell her.
- True (friend) (friendship)between people is getting rare these days.
- ( illiterate ) (illiteracy)and (unemploy) (unemployment)are the most serious problems in today’s world.
- A lot of people are ( job) (jobless)and (home) (homeless)in today’s world.
- A lot of immigrants suffer from (discriminate) (discrimination)in host countries.
- There’s a beautiful (describe) (description)in that novel.
- the government is working towards a greater ( integrate ) (integration)of women in all aspect of life
- I need a lot of (inform) (information)and (assist) (assistance)in this task.
- (prevent) (prevention)is better that cure
- if you want to be (success) (successful)in that job, you need to have a good (know) (knowledge)
- In the last decade, there have been a lot of (improve) (improvement)in the status of women.
- The (destroy) (destruction)of forests is leading humanity to an (environment) (environmental)disaster.
- Morocco is located in a nice (geography) (geographical)position.
3. Question33 points
Give the correct form of the words between brackets (prefixes and suffixes)
- Selling drugs like hashish and cocaine is considered ( law) (illegal)
- Baity is a non-(government) (non-governmental)organisation that works in helping (home) (homeless)children.
- Reda is a (gift) (gifted)student. He was (success) (successful)in all his studies. After his( graduate) (graduation)he went to Paris to continue his (educate) (education)
- Nowadays, (illiterate) (illiteracy)is a (danger) (dangerous)phenomenon that is widespread in our rural areas.
- We have to help women to become (finance) (financially)independents and help them to (participation) (participate)in the (develop) (development)of their society.
- the mobile phone is the most useful modern ( invent) (invention)It’s an amazing mean of (entertain) (entertainment)and ( inform) (information)
- The Moroccan government has taken serious measures to reduce ( illiterate) (illiteracy)among women .It also raises their ( aware) (awareness)to the importance of education in human (develop) (development)
- What’s the advertised job (require) (requirement)? Well, it says that you need a good (know) (knowledge)of at least two foreign languages. You must be also ( energy) (energetic)and (profession) (professional)
- the book gives a good ( describe) (description)of life on a farm.
- My neighbour is a very (rely) (reliable)person. He’s always ready to give me a hand.
- The project concerns the (improve) (improvement)of life in rural areas.
- Moussems are important (culture) (cultural)events in Morocco.
- Marry left the job because she said it was not (interest) (interesting)
- Women have become very (action) (active)members in many organisations.
- bad (manage) (management)of water resources cause water (short) (shortage)
- Education aims at developing learners’ (autonomous) (autonomy)
- Moroccan textile industry is facing severe (compete) (competition)from the Chinese.
- The (strong) (strength)of our country resides in its unity.
Leaderboard: Prefixes and suffixes
|Table is loading|
|No data available|